Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Pom Pom Blanket



        This was my first time working with Pom Pom yarn. It isn't like regular yarn. Instead of one strand of yarn this has pom poms connected by what is called a carrier string. The pom poms are incredibly soft and cuddly and make perfect baby blankets or infant photo props. It is definitely tricky to work with at first. It takes some getting used to since you have to plan your stitches carefully between the poms. I also found that it was incredibly easy for me to accidentally add stitches to my rows. Once I got the hang of it, it went a bit faster.

        I really like the way that the blanket turned out. Everyone that has seen it in person is immediately drawn to touch its soft texture. This isn't a cheap yarn. I used Micheals' Loops & Threads Pom Pom brand in the color Outdoor. They also have Loops & Threads Bunny Tail yarn which is another pom pom yarn that offers a couple different colors. After doing some searching I have found that Michaels' version seems to be the most expensive since you get less in each skein than the other pom pom yarn brands I found for about the same price. They do have nice colors at Michaels. I loved the Outdoor color because I wanted this blanket to be gender neutral but still have a variety of colors. I don't like that you can't order from Michaels online though. If the store doesn't have the color you want in stock you have to wait until they stock it again.

        Joann and Walmart both carry Bernat and Red Heart pom pom yarns and you can order them online. It is pretty easy to find this type of yarn in pastels, pink, blue, green, yellow, white, and black. Bernat's brand is called Baby Pom Pom and Red Heart offers Pomp A Doodle. If you think you might want to order a blanket  feel free to check out those brands to see your color options.

        If you are interested in a blanket like the one I made here you can message me on Facebook or send me an email. The blanket shown here is a baby blanket and measures approximately 28in x 30in before being stretched. This does have a decent amount of stretch to it too. I know that babies are messy so these blankets are also machine washable. The price for an approximately 30in x 30in baby blanket is $40. If you want a different size, just let me know and I can give you a price. I currently do not have any made that are ready to sell so if you order it will take me some time. I'll always give you a time quote when you order so you know what to expect ahead of time.

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! Do you still make them? I was wondering if this was knit or crochet?? Thank you
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is crochet but it can be just as easily made by knitting as well. The key is just having the right kind of pom pom yarn. Unfortunately Michaels discontinued the yarn shown so I haven't made any since that one. I do think you can find other brands of pom pom yarn though.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Lacey for getting back to me! I bought some on clearance today....I crochet and I hope that I can make a big enough one for a baby. I bought 10 of them....do you think that will do?
      You did a beautiful job....looks like tough yarn to crochet with....hope i can do as nice of a job as you!
      Thanks again for your help!
      Also, if you dont mind me asking...what size hook did you use?
      Thanks!
      Lisa

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the compliments. That should be enough yarn for a baby blanket. I can't remember what size hook I used but it should have a recommended hook size on the yarn label. I would go with that. Good luck! I'm sure you will do great.

      Delete